California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
The California Basic Educational Skills Test was developed to meet requirements of laws relating to credentialing and employment. This test requirement in no way replaces any of the other requirements of subject matter knowledge, professional preparation and practice teaching or field experience used in the issuance of credentials. The CBEST is designed to test basic reading, mathematics and writing skills found to be important for the job of an educator. The test is not designed to measure the ability to teach those skills.
The CBEST consists of three sections: reading, mathematics and writing. CBEST test specifications, including information about the skills eligible for testing in each section, are available on theCBEST website.
The examination is delivered in English, and all responses must be in English.
- The reading section consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. The questions in this section assess your ability to comprehend information presented in written passages, tables and graphs. The reading section questions are from two major skill areas: critical analysis and evaluation, and comprehension and research skills. Approximately 40 percent of the questions from this section are drawn from the critical analysis and evaluation area, and approximately 60 percent are drawn from the comprehension and research skills area.
- The mathematics section consists of 50 multiple-choice questions. The questions in this section require you to solve mathematical problems. Most of the questions are presented as word problems. The mathematics section questions are from three major skill areas: estimation, measurement, and statistical principles; computation and problem solving; and numerical and graphic relationships. Approximately 30 percent of the questions from this section are drawn from the estimation, measurement and statistical principles area; approximately 35 percent are drawn from the computation and problem-solving area; and approximately 35 percent are drawn from the numerical and graphic relationships area.
- The writing section includes two writing topics that assess your ability to write effectively. You must respond to both topics. One topic asks you to analyze a given situation or statement; the other asks you to write about a specified personal experience. You are not expected to demonstrate any specialized knowledge in your responses.
For more information on the CBEST, including testing fees, visit theCBEST website.
Test Administration Hours
The test is administered Monday-Friday, by appointment only.
Register for CBEST
California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET)
The California Subject Examinations for Teachers have been developed by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing for prospective teachers who choose to or are required to meet specific requirements for certification by taking examinations. The CTC contracted the evaluation systems group of Pearson to assist in the development, administration and scoring of the CSET. The CSET program includes examinations designed to help candidates meet the following certification requirements.
- Basic skills requirement: Candidates may satisfy all components of the state basic skills requirement by passing all three subtests of CSET: Multiple Subjects and CSET: Writing Skills.
- Subject matter competence requirement: All candidates who need to meet the subject matter competence requirement for a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential must earn passing scores on CSET: Multiple Subjects. Candidates applying for a Single Subject Teaching Credential or an Education Specialist Instruction Credential may pass the appropriate examination(s) of the CSET as one method of satisfying the subject matter competence requirement.
- No Child Left Behind subject matter requirement: For candidates who need to satisfy the NCLB subject matter requirement, candidates for a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential must use CSET: Multiple Subjects, and candidates for a Single Subject Teaching Credential may use CSET: Single Subjects.
- Educational technology requirement: CSET: Preliminary Educational Technology is the current approved examination that is taken primarily by out-of-state credential candidates to fulfill the basic educational technology requirements for a Multiple or Single Subject Teaching Credential or an Education Specialist Instruction Credential.
- Competence requirement for effective teaching of English Learners. CSET: Languages Other Than English may be used in conjunction with other valid examinations to demonstrate competence in the knowledge and skill areas necessary for effective teaching of English Learners and for the purpose of earning a Bilingual Authorization. Specific CSET: LOTE subtests have replaced the Bilingual, Crosscultural, Language and Academic Development examinations as the required credential tests for this purpose.
For more information on the CSET, including testing fees, visit theCSET website.
Test Administration Hours
The test is given Monday-Friday, by appointment only.
Register for CSET
Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
Through the California Reading Initiative, California has made a major commitment to improving students' reading skills and performance. An important element of the California Reading Initiative is the effort to improve the pre-service preparation of teacher candidates. The law requires the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing to "develop, adopt and administer a reading instruction competence assessment . . . to measure an individual's knowledge, skill and ability relative to effective reading instruction." Evaluation Systems was contracted by the CTC to assist in the development, administration and scoring of this assessment, which is known as theReading Instruction Competence Assessment.
The purpose of the RICA is to ensure that California-trained candidates for Multiple Subject Teaching Credentials and Education Specialist Instruction Credentials (special education) possess the knowledge and skills important for the provision of effective reading instruction to students.
The set of teacher knowledge and skills described in the RICA Content Specifications and reflected in the RICA is organized into the following five domains.
- Domain 1: Planning, organizing, and managing reading instruction based on ongoing assessment
- Domain 2: Word analysis
- Domain 3: Fluency
- Domain 4: Vocabulary, academic language and background knowledge
- Domain 5: Comprehension
The RICA consists of two assessment options: the RICA Written Examination and the RICA Video Performance Assessment. Both the Written Examination and the Video Performance Assessment are based on the RICA Content Specifications. A passing score on either assessment represents successful completion of the RICA requirement.
Test Administration Hours
The test is given Monday-Friday, by appointment only.
Other Pearson VUE exams
Pearson VUE Authorized Test Centers are privately owned, third-party testing facilities which provide on-site, on-demand testing for certification and professional licensure exams. Our Testing Center is an open testing site for various certifications, licensures, IT and professional exams offered through Pearson VUE.
Registering & Scheduling an exam with Pearson VUE
- Schedule a test with Pearson VUE. Visit www.pearsonvue.com/programs and select the relevant test program from the Test Taker Services section. Next, select 'Schedule a Test' on the right-hand side of the page and complete the necessary fields. Upon confirming the booking, you will receive a confirmation email from Pearson VUE. This confirmation will contain information such as time, date, and location of your test, including directions to the test center.
- Need to reschedule? Visit www.pearsonvue.com/programs and select the relevant test program from the Test Taker Services section. Once you have chosen your test program, select 'Reschedule a Test' on the right-hand side and complete the necessary fields.
- I need to cancel. Visit www.pearsonvue.com/programs and select the relevant test program from the Test Taker Services section. Once you have chosen your test program, select 'Cancel a Test' on the right-hand side and complete the necessary fields.
- Forgot my Pearson VUE username and/or password? Click on the sign-in page relevant to your program at www.pearsonvue.com/signin_en and select either 'I forgot my username' or 'I forgot my password'. Provide the details and you will then be able to recover your username and/or reset your password.
- What if I have a problem? You can call Pearson VUE's customer support center by going to www.pearsonvue.com/contact/vuephone and choose your relevant program and region.
- How early should I arrive on the day of my test? Typically, you are asked to arrive 15-30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. This will give you an opportunity to find parking, check-in location, use the restroomand relax prior to beginning your test.
- What do I need to bring to test? Typically, you are asked to bring two forms of identification, including one government-issued photo identification. Some test programs may have additional requirements. The items you are asked to bring differs for each test program. You will receive a confirmation email with program-specific information.
- How often are test centers open for testing? CSUN Testing Center is open Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:45 p.m.
Pearson VUE is committed to ensuring access for all individuals with disabilities and supports the intention of the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended. Test accommodations are individualized and considered on a case-by-case basis. All candidates who are requesting accommodations because of a disability must provide appropriate documentation of their condition and how it is expected to affect their ability to take the test under standard conditions. This may include additional supporting documentation from the professional who diagnosed the condition. Please visit theAccommodations from Pearson VUE websitefor specific details on how your test program handles requests for accommodations.
- Proper identification will be required on the day of your test. Please arrive on time for your scheduled appointment but no earlier than 15 minutes prior to your appointment.Latecomers may be dismissed if center is unable to admit in a timely fashion.
- Parking in the B3 structure is recommended. You may purchase a single day permit at an attendant booth or dispenser for $9.50. Day pass dispensers accept credit cards or cash and are located by the elevator on each level. For the location of parking lots and dispensers, download theStudent Parking Information.
Visit our Test Reporting Locations Mapfor driving directions to all on-campus testing locations.
A certification verifies that a professional has met a certain set of criteria for a skill or job as measured by a third-party assessment. A license is verification by a government agency that a professional is able to perform a particular occupation in a particular location, such as a certain state.What is the difference between licensure and certification quizlet? ›
What is the difference between licensure and certification? Certification- Granting of credentials. Implies only specialized skill or knowledge set associated with specific professional status. Licensure- Implies a legal status.How do you put license and certifications on a resume? ›
- The full name of the certification (any common abbreviation can be included in parentheses)
- The issuing organization (or state)
- The date you earned the certification.
- The location (if applicable and not implied by the issuer)
Certifications come from well-established organizations — like the National Healthcareer Association — that vouch for a professional's skills and competencies. Professionals can take their certifications to an employer as evidence that they are qualified for a particular healthcare profession.What is the easiest license to get? ›
- First aid certifications. ...
- Project management certifications. ...
- Software certifications. ...
- Government certifications. ...
- Notary public certification. ...
- Forklift operator license. ...
- Computer programming certifications. ...
- Marketing certifications.
As shown below, one of the biggest distinctions between these two credentials is that licenses are legally required by the government to work in an occupation; certifications are not. Requires meeting predetermined criteria, such as having a degree or passing a state-administered exam.What is certification and licensure What is the difference between the two? ›
Certification typically documents your skill in a particular field, while licensure is a document that is often legally required in order to work in certain industries.Do you put license or licensure on resume? ›
In general, you don't need to include specific license or certification numbers unless the job posting or prospect requests them. If a certification isn't widely known but is highly relevant to the work you're now pursuing, consider adding a brief description of the work you did to obtain it.What do you put under license and certifications? ›
Title the section, “Certifications.” If you have licenses as well, you can title the section, “Licenses and Certifications.” It's more than okay to add both to one section. Under your subheading, list each certification in reverse-chronological order. Start with your most recent.How do you say I have a certification? ›
Here are a few different examples of how you can write the sentence that you mentioned: - I have earned the following certifications: - Below is a list of my qualifications and certifications: - I have successfully completed the following certifications: I hope this helps!
There are three types of certificates: Instructional, Educational Services and Administrative.What certification stands for? ›
“Certification refers to the confirmation of certain characteristics of an object, person or organization. This confirmation is often, but not always, provided by some form of external review, education, assessment or audit. Accreditation is a specific organization's process of certification” (Wikipedia).What does do certification mean? ›
A doctor of osteopathic medicine, also known as a D.O., is a fully trained and licensed doctor. A doctor of osteopathic medicine graduates from a U.S. osteopathic medical school. A doctor of medicine, also known as an M.D., graduates from a traditional medical school.What is the quickest certification to get? ›
- Phlebotomist Certification Programs.
- Medical Assistant Certification Programs.
- Certified Nurse Assistant Certification Programs.
- Medical Coder or Biller Certification Programs.
- Flight Attendant Certification Programs.
- Welder Certification Programs.
- Data Science Certification.
- Cloud Architect Certification.
- Business Analytics Certification.
- Cybersecurity Certification.
- Blockchain Certification.
- DevOps Certification.
- IoT Solutions Certification.
- Artificial Intelligence Certification.
Some of the easiest licenses to get include — Marketing, Phlebotomist, and Personal Trainer certifications. They are considered easy licenses to get as you don't need years of experience in order to successfully pass the exams.What is another word for certification or licensure? ›
Some of the key benefits of certification include:
Validation of knowledge. Increased marketability. Increased earning power. Enhanced academic performance.
A certification number is a number that is issued in respect of and is, in turn, printed on a certificate for the identified. Certification numbers essentially begin when we are born. The initial certification numbers include driver's license, birth certificates, and so on.How many types of certification are there? ›
There are three general types of certification. Listed in order of development level and portability, they are: corporate (internal), product-specific, and profession-wide. Corporate, or "internal" certifications, are made by a corporation or low-stakes organization for internal purposes.
A certificate shows that you have successfully completed a course or a series of courses with particular learning objectives. Certification indicates that you are competent in your field and have demonstrated mastery, as measured by an industry standard.Which of the following is the primary difference between licensure and certification? ›
Certification programs are voluntary. While they're usually advantageous for advancing one's career, they're not required to practice a profession. On the other hand, licensure programs legally authorize an individual to practice a profession.What is meant by license or licensure? ›
A license is a state's grant of legal authority to practice a profession within a designated scope of practice. It is required in order to practice or to call oneself a licensed professional.Do you put certifications on resume? ›
Yep! As long as the certifications are relevant to the job, you should include them on your resume. Online certifications can especially help you if you're a recent graduate with not a lot of work experience.How do you list degrees and licenses after your name? ›
List the highest education degree first, for example, Michael Anderson, PhD, MSN. In most cases, one degree is enough, but if your second degree is in another relevant field, you may choose to list it. For example, a nurse executive might choose Nancy Gordon, MBA, MSN, RN.What do certifications include? ›
Certifications are designated credentials earned by an individual to verify their legitimacy and competence to perform a job. Your certification is typically displayed as a document stating that as a professional, you've been trained, educated and are prepared to meet a specific set of criteria for your role.How do you say you are CPR certified on a resume? ›
Since CPR is not a license, but rather, a certification, you will never have to place it after your name. If you put the certification in the “Certification and Training” section, you should list it in reverse chronological order with other education and training.How do you say I have a certification in an interview? ›
If the interviewer inquires, “Which credentials do you have?”Then begin to describe the credential in detail. The type of certificate, the day you begin training, and the end time are all examples. What you've learned from the bits of training and ventures you've done. Not only can the credentials be defined.How do you describe certification in an interview? ›
Give the title of the certification, the date on which you acquired it, how much time it took to prepare for the certification exam and how long your certification is valid. If you hold several certifications, you may want to list them on a separate page to refer to during the interview.What is an example sentence for certifications? ›
the certification of the vote She had to wait until her certification as a nurse before she could start her new job. The certifications of nine teachers were revoked. The school offers scuba diving certification.
A professional certificate program usually consists of focused training for a specific career, such as a health care technologist or auto mechanic. Alternatively, you can earn a certificate in an area that will bolster your existing career, such as security management or communications and media studies.What is the degree of certification? ›
A degree certificate or diploma is awarded by an educational establishment to show that someone has successfully completed a course of study. The Tepper Admissions Office asks that international students upload a copy of the degree certificate/diploma they received from their undergraduate institution.What is a type of certificate of employment? ›
What is a Certificate of Employment? They are pieces of paper that employees request from their employers which have certain claims with respect to the employment experience of the employee. They look like diplomas in some ways with some companies, while in others, they are simple memorandums.What is a skill certification? ›
Skill certification forms the basis for a credentialing program in a particular trade or profession. An industry or a government agency establishes the qualifications, requirements and standards to be met for granting certification to practitioners of particular occupations.What is certification synonym? ›
noundeclaration of the truth of something. affidavit. assertion. asseveration. attestation.Does having a certificate mean you are certified? ›
A certificate program does not lead to a professional certification. Yes, the courses you take in a certificate program could help you prepare to earn a professional field-specific certification, but earning a certificate is not the same as becoming certified.What is a certified worker? ›
Certified worker means a worker who is certified by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, “Committee” a Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee.Is having a certification good? ›
Earning certifications is generally useful and recommended as many employers will view them as a sign of commitment to your profession at the very least.How long does it take to complete a certification? ›
Length: A certificate program tends to take much less time (and cost less) than a bachelor's degree. A certificate program typically takes between three and seven months, whereas a bachelor's degree takes about four years of full-time study to complete.How long should a certification take? ›
Most students take one to three years to complete a certificate program, depending on the program course requirements.
The highest award a student can earn for graduate study. The doctor's degree classification includes such degrees as Doctor of Education (Ed.
- Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator Associate. ...
- Salesforce Certified Development Lifecycle and Deployment. ...
- Business Analytics. ...
- Data Science. ...
- Artificial Intelligence. ...
- Programming Languages. ...
- Blockchain Technology. ...
- Website Development.
- MCAT. ...
- Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert. ...
- 3. California Bar Exam. ...
- SAT. ...
- Chartered Financial Analyst Exams. ...
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP) Designation. ...
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) ...
PMP is often ranked as the top project management certifications. Freelancers that have a PMP certification can manage both small term and long term projects. PMP is suited to more experienced freelancers because PMP certification has qualifications that every applicant must meet before they are able to give this exam.What is the difference between certification and licensure quizlet Chapter 2? ›
What is the difference between certification and licensure? Certification is a process by which a national organization validates the credentials of a professional, usually by an examination. Licensure is the process of validating credentials that is performed by a state.What is the difference between licensure and certification of a healthcare professional quizlet? ›
Licensure is a mandatory credentialing process that allows an individual to legally perform certain skills. Certification is a voluntary credentialing process usually offered by a private professional organization.When one differentiates between licensure and certification it should be known that? ›
certification requires only successful completion of a standardized examination, whereas licensure requires completion of a set number of clinical hours to be completed during the nursing education process.How are certification registration and licensure similar? ›
Licensure and Registration are interchangeable, which grants the authority/ability to practice a profession on a state level. Being licensed in a profession is an indication that you have the minimum competencies required to perform tasks related to that profession.What is the definition of certification quizlet? ›
a document that serves as proof of an academic or training accomplishment, demonstrating that a person has the professional qualifications necessary to perform a job. certification. the process of becoming certified in a professional qualification necessary to perform a job.What is the difference between certification and licensing of a healthcare professional? ›
The major difference between the two involves the administering authority. Certification is usually issued by a non-governmental agency, entity, or organization, for example, an association of nurses or a dentists' board. Conversely, licensure must be issued by a government agency or entity.
What is the difference between licensure and certification and briefly explain the implications they have for athletic training in the future? ›
Describe the difference between licensure and certification and briefly explain the implications they have for athletic trainers in the future. A licensure is a license under law to practice being an athletic trainer, a certification is voluntary and one does not need to be certifed to practice.What is different between accreditation and certification in the stages of a professional? ›
Accreditation vs Certification
Certification represents a written assurance by a third party of the conformity of a product, process or service to specified requirements. Accreditation, on the other hand, is the formal recognition by an authoritative body of the competence to work to specified standards.
Quality skills and workmanship result in reduced costs, as well as improved efficiency and productivity. Building certification programs enables professional organizations to establish standards for understanding concepts and technologies and for the skills necessary to install, develop, maintain, and use them.Why are certifications important for professionals? ›
Certification demonstrates your commitment to superior professionalism, upholding industry standards, and continued learning. These merits can help boost your professional credibility and prestige within your own network, with your current clients, and when pursuing new business opportunities or bidding on projects.What does certification validate in comparison with licensure which measures entry level competence? ›
Certification provides a way to document that competence. While licensure measures entry-level competence, certification validates specialty knowledge, experience, and clinical judgment.